Cast Of Glee Bring Spirit Of The Season To Life On New Christmas Album
The second installment of Glee’s annual Christmas extravaganza on tape builds on last year’s release and brings fans of the show another set of unique cast-sung renditions of classic Christmas standards.
For all the Gleeks out there, your prayers have finally been answered! That’s right, Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album Volume 2 is out now and it’s definitely a great way for fans to kick off and catch the joy of the 2011 holiday season. The album consists of all your favorite cast members performing mostly pop-esque renditions of Christmas staples like Little Drummer Boy, Let It Snow and All I Want For Christmas Is You.
Apart from what you’d expect from a Glee Christmas record, there are a few very big standouts worth noting that will keep fans of the show coming back for more like the cover of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Band Aid[/lastfm]’s 1984 hit Do They Know Its Christmas?, which raised money to benefit famine relief in Ethiopia. Upon its release, the song quickly went on to sell a staggering 1 million copies in it’s first week alone. Another huge highlight of the record sure to get fans of the show excited is the new cast members contributions on the record. After surviving the shows popular televised audition process, The Glee Project, newcomers Lindsay Pearce, Alex Newell, and Damian McGinty make their marks in fantastic adaptations of Do You Hear What I Hear? and Blue Christmas.
Click play below to check out a rendition of Santa Baby from the record by Glee cast member Naya Rivera (Santana):
While the album does many things well, there are moments where it comes off as overly synthetic, especially to those unfamiliar with the show. However, that’s not to say that the record isn’t a huge success for what it sets out to do, which is appeal to fans of the show. But to the average person seeking fun renditions of old Christmas favorites, the album might come off as a tad displeasing at times, and probably won’t become the go-to soundtrack of the season. For fans though, the album can do no wrong and is nothing short of a great ride from start to finish.
Need more Glee? Listen to Glee Radio, the always-on, 24/7 channel playing all your favorite tracks from Glee.
The full track listing for Glee: The Music, The Christmas Album Volume 2 is as follows:
1. All I Want For Christmas Is You - Featuring Amber Riley (Mercedes)
2. Extraordinary Merry Christmas - Featuring Darren Criss (Blaine) and Lea Michele (Rachel)
3. Santa Baby - Featuring Naya Rivera (Santana)
4. Christmas Eve With You - Featuring Jayma Mays (Emma) and Mathew Morrison (Will)
5. Little Drummer Boy - Featuring Kevin McHale (Artie)
6. River - Featuring Lea Michele (Rachel)
7. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Featuring Lindsay Pearce (Glee Project) and Alex Newell (Glee Project)
8. Let It Snow - Featuring Darren Criss (Blaine) and Chris Colfer (Kurt)
9. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town - Featuring Mark Sailing (Puck), Cory Monteith (Finn) and Samuel Larsen (Glee Project)
10. Christmas Wrapping - Featuring Heather Morris (Brittany)
11. Blue Christmas - Featuring Damian McGinty (Rory)
12. Do They Know It’s Christmas - Featuring Cory Monteith (Finn), Amber Riley (Mercedes), Lea Michele (Rachel), Chris Colfer (Kurt), Kevin McHale (Artie), Heather Morris (Brittany), Mark Salling (Puck), Jenna Ushkowitz (Tina), Naya Rivera (Santana)